Roulette is a casino game named after the French word meaning little wheel. It is based on a rotating device which consists of two centered wheels. The bigger wheel is still, the smaller one rotates and is divided into 37 (in French Roulette) or into 38 coloured and numbered pockets (in American Roulette).
To determine the winning number and color, a croupier spins a wheel in one direction, then spins a ball in the opposite direction around a tilted circular track running around the circumference of the wheel. The ball eventually loses momentum and falls onto the wheel and into one of 37 or 38 colored and numbered pockets on the wheel.
Blaise Pascal, a mathematician and physician, came up with the idea of roulette in 17th century. At that me, he was fascinated and obsessed with the thought of contructing a so-called perpetuum mobile. Roulette was first played in year 1796 in Paris. In year 1842, the Frenchmen François and Louis Blanc added the 37th part - the zero - which moved the probability of winning to the operator's benefit, and in the USA at the beginning of the 19th century, it went even further, when the 38th part was added, and it was marked with the '00' symbol.
The division of the wheel
In French roulette, the wheel is divided into 37 parts, from which 36 are numbered from 1 to 36, but those numbers are not lined up in order. Half of the numbers are red and the other half are black. The only exception is the zero which is green (in French roulette). In American roulette, there is an extra 38th part, which is the double zero.
The betting possibilities and payout ratios
The easy or also straight bets are those which have a 1:1 payout ratio.
- Red or black
In case of a win, the bet amount is paid out once.
- Odd or even
In case of a win, the bet amount is paid out once.
- Low (1–18) or high (19–36)
The win is again one multiple of the bet amount.
Betting on dozens
The bet on the upper line (numbers divisible by 3), the middle line (numbers divisible by 3 with the remainder of 2) or on the lower line (numbers divisible by 3 with the remainder of 1). As a winning, the double amount of the bet is paid out.
Betting on the first third (numbers from 1 to 12), the second third (numbers from 13 to 24) or on the third third (numbers from 25 - 26). If the player wins, a double amount of the bet is paid out.
Betting on one number
A bet on any number, including zero. In case of a win, the bet amount is paid out 35 times.
The token is placed precisely between two numbers. The win is the bet amount 17 times multiplied.
Betting on threesomes
The three numbers must be in one column (e.g. the numbers 4-5-6, you can also bet on threesomes which contain a zero and that's: 0-1-2 and 0-2-3. The win is the bet amount 11 times multiplied.
Betting on foursomes (square or corner)
Any of the squares, for example numbers 4-5-7-8. The token is placed in the middle among these four numbers. You can also bet on a foursome which contains a zero (a so-called first foursome), that is: 0-1-2-3. The win is as high as the bet amount multiplied 8 times.
Betting on six numbers
A group of six, for example 4-5-6-7-8-9. In case of a win, the bet amount gets multiplied 5 times.
In Roulette, you can bet using many various methods, whose goal is to make the probability of winning higher. Among the most popular systems, we can find Martingale, D'Alembert, Fibonacci, Labouchere, Dominance. By choosing the bets, players can ensure a more beneficial betting ratios. However, no system can ensure a win.
Take advantage of free spins (no deposit spins)
This trick can be very advantageous for you and maybe that's why it's not possible at most casinos. There are even those casinos which won't allow you to wager on black and red at once!
It's advantagous to wait until the same colour is hit many times in a row and only then to start betting. Therefore, let the roulette rotate a bit without risking a single token! Wait for the right numbers to come and then start playing.
Always follow there 7 rules for playing:
- Discipline. It is necessary to determine limits for winning and losing, and when you reach those limits, end the game. If you don't stick to this rule, the mathematical advantage of the casino will get you.
- Choosing the roulette. Rather play on a European or French roulette. The American one has two zeroes, which gives more chances to the casino.
- Money. Always have enough money in the bank, which will enable you to overcome a long unsuccessful sequence. If your basic bet is one token, then the minimum bank is 200 tokens.
- Losing. If you lose, it's no good to try to win the money back in an instant. Go back to the game next day.
- Roulette systems. Are you playing a system that you believe in? Great, then stick to it.
- Greed. If one is winning, they never have enough. In roulette, however, you can really mess up by doing this. Therefore, decide on a real limit for winning or losing, see the first rule.
- Choosing the right casino. Choose your online casino with caution. Small, new or unknown casinos can have cheat systems in which you can't ever win, or they can avoid the payment of the winnings. The casinos on this website, however, are major, reliable ones, where the risk of the operator cheating is zero. Read the casino reviews and the offer of game bonuses and then choose your favourite casino.